Android Native Activity Support

Maarten Engels - Visual Productions
Hello guys,

For the last month I have been doing my research on the best way to port my C++ project to android, and the most elegant way I found is using "Android Studio" with "Native Activity".

Unfortunately, I see that this is not supported by SDL(I understand that before September this was experimental so I can understand why might had not been supported). So my Questions are:

- Is it in the plans to support the "Native Activity" build?
- If yes then when?(So should I wait a couple months, or move to something else.)

Thanks before hand for you answers.

Re: Android Native Activity Support

GameCodingNinja
In my experience, Android Studio's native compile is gimped due to their "experimental gradle". I have not been able to get it to work corectly. This has nothing to do with SDL supporting "Native Activity".

This is what you should try to do first. In the SDL/docs folder is a file called README-android.md. This assumes you are trying to build your Android files on Linux. The read-me shows you how to use the provided scripts to build an Android project and deploy it on your Android device with Ant. It's actually quite simple to do and if you can get the sample project to compile and deploy it to your phone and see it working, then it's just a matter of using that project as a template for your game.

Re: Android Native Activity Support

Maarten Engels - Visual Productions
Hello @GameCodingNinja,

I am currently doing it the crapy way that I found on the readme file, with no IDE and no debugging. But thats not ideal.

"Native Activity is not supported by SDL, and has nothing to do with gradle. It is C++ and CMake, all my libraries build and the project compiles but when you try to do SDL_Init you can't, because it gives you an error that its missing the SDL_main and from what I read I understand that I need SDL_Activity to do that. So that really doesn't feel efficient or ideal to me.

"Native Activity" is not based on an experimental gradle anymore it comes with Android Studio out of the box. Of course it has only been like that since September. So what I am wondering is if its is the plans to support the Native Activity way.

Re: Android Native Activity Support

hardcoredaniel
Well, if I understand things correctly, then "NativeActivity" is a simple "pre-compiled Java Activity" that native code might link against, if it wanted to avoid any Java coding. In that case, all Android lifecycle handling must be done in the native code as well (e.g. all the stuff that SDLActivity.java currently does would have to be ported, roughly speaking). Finally, there wouldn't be much of a difference from a technical view, you would still build & run an app.

I don't know how good debugging support for the native code is in Android Studio now, I was only using "ndk-gdb" from the command line.

Regards,

Daniel