No stdin after closing SDL program without window manager

No stdin after closing SDL program without window manager

Pieter Hulshoff
Hello all,

I've recently switched from Kubuntu 16.04 to Mint 18 (KDE), and am running
into the following problem:
When I run an SDL program directly under X without a window manager, and close
that program, stdin is not returned to the parent process. As an example:

I start X with just an xterm, start MAME (emulator), exit MAME, and return to
the xterm. My keyboard is simply not working anymore. I can still use the
mouse to copy/paste into the xterm, but keyboard input is not captured.

I've tested this with several SDL programs, and non-SDL programs, but the
result is the same: after exiting the SDL program my keyboard doesn't work,
and after exiting a non-SDL program I have no issue. I also don't have an
issue when I use a window manager like KDE. I did not have this issue with
Kubuntu.

Any thoughts on what might cause this issue, and how I might solve it?

Kind regards,

Pieter Hulshoff