Raspberry Pi 3 repository

rtrussell
I was delighted to discover that the Raspberry Pi 3 repository contains prebuilt binaries for SDL2 and SDL2_ttf, making my life much easier than it would have been had I needed to configure and build them from scratch. But whilst they work, they are dreadfully slow: in particular I notice that rendering is being done by OpenGL (not OpenGLES) although from the speed I would have guessed it was the software renderer!

Does anybody know whether an update to these RPi3 binaries is likely, and whether I can expect an improvement in performance in future versions?

Richard.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 repository

rtrussell

rtrussell wrote:
I notice that rendering is being done by OpenGL (not OpenGLES) although from the speed I would have guessed it was the software renderer!

In fact I'm pretty certain it is a software renderer. In addition to being very slow two factors lead me to that conclusion: firstly the Raspberry Pi's 'experimental GL Driver' is disabled (enabling it gives me a black screen) and secondly any program which attempts 3D rendering crashes.

So what puzzles me is that SDL_GetRendererInfo returns the renderer name as "opengl"; is that to be expected if in fact a software renderer is in use? This is SDL 2.0.2 incidentally, which is what is available from the RPi repository.

Richard.